Johann Joachim Quantz
A recording on period instruments
As a teaser, here is the first track for you to listen to:
Allegro di molto mà con Spirito
Concerto in A minor (QV 5:236)
High quality MP3 (12.9 MB)
The Concerto in A minor was composed in Potsdam for Frederick the Great between 1741 and 1756.
Allegro di molto mà con Spirito can be translated as ‘very cheerful, bright or playful, but with spirit and wit’.
This movement is full of dramatic contrasts and rhetorical flourishes.
Some things to think about as you listen:
- The principal goal of a performance is always to express the sentiments or passions, not quick playing — J.J. Quantz.
- A musician needs to arrive at an understanding of the true content and affect of a piece … the details of beauty — C.P.E. Bach
This music – and our performance of it – embodies many characteristis of the Age of Reason:
- Galant aesthetics — clarity, naturalness, seeking to please
- Style — taste, refinement and elegance
- Restraint — moderation, delicacy and composure
- Propriety — appropriateness, conventionally accepted standards of behaviour
CDs and Downloads available from
AAC (256kbps) | MP3 (320kbps) |FLAC (16-bit/44.1kHz) | FLAC (24-bit/96kHz)
CDs will also be available at our Concerts.
Elysium Ensemble gratefully acknowledges the support of: